Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fat Celebrities



One would be hard-pressed to find a celebrity that has not been called fat by the media. As soon as an ounce of cellulite is spotted, that famous person is written off as “let themselves go”. Some celebrities have become well known for their large size. It is the celebrities that have embraced their fat and have made it a part of their image, while not letting it become their only quality, that I admire the most. 

Photo Source


Beth Ditto is the lead singer of the indie band Gossip (O’Brien). Her bold sense of fashion and her wild stage antics set her far apart from the mainstream. She has been known to strip down to her underwear for her concerts (O’Brien). She is a strong advocate for gay rights, fat acceptance, and self-love (O’Brien). What I admire most is her openness with her body. She performs on stage in as tight or as little clothing as popular, thinner singers and she does this without shame.





“Don’t hang out with people who don’t love you. Don’t try to impress people who aren’t worth it. Don’t try to win people over who aren’t worth it. Focus on yourself, and focus on the people who are really awesome and who love you. Don’t hang out with people who make you feel like shit. Don’t spend your energy on them.” - Beth Ditto

Photo Source
Gabourey “Gabby” Sidibe rose to fame in 2009 for her role as the title character in Precious for which she received an Oscar nomination for Best Actress (Gabourey). She is currently starring on Showtime’s The Big C (Gabourey). Unlike the character of Precious whose low self-esteem was her main character trait; Gabby self-acceptance of her body and her confidence is inspiring for people of all sizes.




“One day I decided I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I were a beautiful girl. I wear colors that I really like, I wear makeup that makes me feel pretty, and it really helps. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see. Your body is your temple, it’s your home, and you must decorate it.” - Gabourey Sidibe


Photo Source
Rebel Wilson is an Australian actress who caught fame in America after her roles in Bridesmaids and Pitch Perfect (Rebel). I admire Rebel for a different reason than Beth or Gabourey. In 2011, Rebel Wilson became the spokesperson for Jenny Craig in Australia (Rebel). Wanting to lose weight does not automatically mean that someone hates their body. I respect Rebel Wilson because she is confident with her appearance but has chosen to watch her weight to be healthier.


“I know I pick up the roles other actresses don’t want. When there are movies where there are two sisters and one’s the uglier sister, there’s always no actress that wants to go for it. I’m like, why not! They’re the best roles!” - Rebel Wilson





Works Cited
"Gabourey Sidibe." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 6 Mar. 2013.

O'Brien, Jon. "About Beth Ditto." MTV. MTV, n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2013.

"Rebel Wilson." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2013.

1 comment:

  1. This was a thoroughly interesting post because you highlight three different personalities/representatives of full-figured women in entertainment. I think all three women are amazing, but I agree with you that Beth Ditto is the one to watch. She seems to be the most outspoken, brash, feminist, in-control woman I've seen in rock in years. I also really like that you outline each woman and then provide a clear quote that represents their self-love. Nicely done here!

    ReplyDelete