Tuesday, January 15, 2013

An Introduction to a Radical Notion


Photo Source
Recently I was speaking to a friend and telling her about my auditions to get into my high school’s art program. I was 14 and wanted to study visual arts, but I also took dance lessons and decided to audition for the dance program as well. I figured auditioning for two different parts of the program would make double sure that I got in. Let’s just say I stood out like a sore thumb (what an over-used phrase).

I was telling my friend about the bright blue tights I wore because I wanted to be different. But I really did not need any help in the different department. I had been dancing for only two years then and had studied jazz. Almost every other dancer there had been taking ballet lessons since they were three. And of course the most notable difference was that I was the fattest girl there. When I told my friend this, she said, “Don’t say that about yourself! You’re not fat!” But the thing is… I am.

I was always the big child, the chubby girl, the “fat” one. This took a toll on me and left me struggling with depression and anxiety. However, I recently discovered the feminist movement and most importantly, fat feminism. Fat feminism focuses on overweight women and how they are often disadvantaged because of their size and gender. Fat-positivity is about recognizing women of all sizes and fighting discrimination against any body type.

I had grown up being told that I was too fat by the media, school, peers, and even family. So to hear of there was a movement of fat acceptance where women were proud of their fat thighs, belly rolls, and stretch marks… well let’s just say I was confused. After being told for so long that my weight is a flaw, it was rather unbelievable to think that being fat is perfectly fine.

So upon graduating from high school, I said, “You know what? I am fat! And dammit, I am happy!” For the past seven months or so I have been learning to embrace being a fat woman. This is truly the longest stretch of time I have gone without worrying about my weight, whether or not I need to be on a diet, and (most importantly) what others think of me. Of course this does not mean that I don’t have my bad days. Sometimes I wake up and just feel gross because of the way I look. Everyone has these bad days but I always go back to that place of acceptance. With this blog I hope to educate others about fat feminism and hopefully inspire someone to accept themselves and embrace their body.
 

2 comments:

  1. I think it can be almost impossible not to be affected by how the media manages assumptions on what is beautiful in society. I'm sorry you had such a struggle in high school, but it seems like you are finding a good place right now. That's wonderful.

    I'd love to read more about fat feminism (is it just feminism or an actual subcategory?) and I would want to hear more about your community; who are they? What do they do and say as activists? This will be a fascinating semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, when I first saw your blog I was so excited to read it. I was chunky when I was little and since my moms family is asian they always told me if I want to be pretty I got to get skinny. I was so insecure so I lost 20 pounds. And now I gained it back. But you know what, Guys want meat and my girlfriend likes me the way I am.

    I love your blog. And thank you for helping me.

    ReplyDelete