Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Be Proud of Your Stretch Marks

Photo Source

Right before I started writing this piece, I went to look up, “what are stretch marks,” on Google. The result right at the top instantly disgusted me. However, it also helps to prove my point that there is a great misconception about stretch marks. Society has again turned something completely normal and natural into something to be ashamed of.I started getting stretch marks when I was about 11 years old when I started going through puberty. I absolutely hated them. They were red and grossed me out and I made sure to keep them covered. If my shirt was to happen to ride up and my stretch marks were to show, I would be so embarrassed. Fat feminism teaches that stretch marks are just another part of your body that needs to beloved.

It seems as though a lot of young people, especially teenage girls and young women, think they are alone in having stretch marks. This is because the women they see in mainstream media are shown having perfectly smooth, even skin. This, of course, is a fallacy. The definition provided by Google states that stretch marks are the result of,“obesity or during pregnancy.” This negatively impresses someone into thinking that if they are not pregnant, then they must have their stretch marks because they are “obese.” Stretch marks are the result of growth. When going through puberty, a teen grows and gains weight in a short amount of time. This rapid growth means the skin has to stretch rapidly as well (Kid’sHealth). A person may also get stretch marks during later periods of life when their body does any sort of quick growing. This does not always mean“getting fat.” Pregnancy or gaining muscle mass can result in stretch marks as well.

Jessica White: A Victoria's Secret model
with stretch marks on her hips and butt. Photo Source
“Roughly 80 percent of Americans have stretch marks” (CBS News). Having stretch marks is  nothing strange. They are also not an indicator of poor health or being overweight or obese. Stretch marks are only an indicator of a body growing. Athletes have stretch marks where they have gained muscle. Models may have stretch marks on their breasts or hips but these aren’t seen because of the Photoshop used in the majority their photos. In reality these people that are often idols and inspirations to others have stretch marks like everyone else.

Stretch marks are nothing shameful.I see mine as a beautiful reminder that I have a body that has grown and changed. No one should feel abnormal because they have stretch marks.











5 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    When I first came across your blog I know that it was going to be interesting for various reasons. One reason being I am a woman and I enjoy learning more about feminism. However, I cannot relate completely to your topic but I have friends and family who struggle with the same issue. Secondly, I think that you could not have a more prefect attitude about the subject, really I believe you have an extremely strong voice and there are many girls and young women out there who need to hear it. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good post (and thanks to alerting me to jump back to see what was posted earlier than due!). Could you go into a little more science about the skin and how it stretches? Why do some people get stretch marks and others don't? I wonder what the genetic reasoning for that is?

    This post makes me want a "bodies are unique" post from you. You have done this on individual parts, but I think a holistic post would be really interesting! I imagine you would be able to find data on what "general" American body type(s) are versus what the media portrays as the feminine ideal...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I to can't completely relate to your topic but I was interested on what you would share. I believe you point out some very good points in this post. For example, that athletes get strech marks to. My boyfriend is a hockey player that plays for a university in Boston. He pratices five days a week and works out almost everyday so, needless to say he's extremly fit. Although he's in amazing shape he does have strech marks on his hips. Like you said, he obtained these strech marks from gaining muscle. I think it's important to point out that there's positive ways to get strech marks, and to not just look at the negatives. Posting a picture of a Victoria secret model was in my opinion the best example. I'm sure a lot of viewers will be shocked by that. It's refreshing to see famous people coming out and saying their okay with not being stick thin. The first artist that comes to my head is Miranda Lambert. She recently stated that she doesn't want to be stick thin and is happy with having a shape. I think something great that could have been added to your post is tips on getting rid of stretch marks. What are the top rated lotions? Or any home remedies that saves money?

    ReplyDelete